Sunday, September 14, 2008

Shock Xpress - John Waters (pt. 1)

From an interview with John Waters by Damon Wise in the first Shock Xpress book:

"I think the best thing I've done lately, y'know that kind of thing of ultimate voyeurism was... I was just driving down the street and I saw this tiny little church, but I mean really black. Really Southern, where people were speaking in tongues and had 'the spirit'. They had nurses there to help people who were speaking in tongues. I just pulled over and as I walked up I thought, I can't go in. I was like a Martian. And then this nurse came out and she said, (blandly) 'Come in, son. Would you like to witness?' So I went right in and set down. There was a lady right next to me, completely speaking in tongues, like her head was gonna start spinning round. (...) And she was going, like, 'AIIIYEEAAYAIIEE.' It was so great. Then one turned round and said, (softly) 'You're the movie man, aren't you?', and I thought, 'I can't believe I'm recognised in this place!' But it was really great and only in Baltimore, I think, it is that open. I mean, somewhere that you really... it's almost rude to go in. I would never have gone in unless I'd been invited. But once I was in there ... it was like Wise Blood, y'know? There was, like, one old, dirty, crooked sacred hart on the wall. That was the only decoration. It was really poor. But there were people really dressed up. Older black ladies with big hats on. It was really nice. (...) I stayed a half hour. It seemed long. I thought, I just want to get out of here before one person, maybe, doesn't like that I'm here. But I felt throbbing voyeurism! I was so interested I couldn't leave. And I was with somebody who was out in the car, saying, I don't believe he went in there!"


Pink Flamingos (John Waters, 1972)




Polyester
(John Waters, 1981)

1 comment:

Alexi Frest said...

He looks ghastly...